White As The Forbidden Fashion Color No More
Anyone that knows me also knows that Grace is not my middle name, and that means that for a large part of my life I have avoided white as a basic rule of fashion. In this past year though I have tried to expand my fashion horizons which means that I am making an attempt to break some of my own fashion rules. This week I am branching out and tackling the color white. Nothing says spring and summer like a basic white bottom and I was not going to be left out of that statement.
There are a couple of basic fashion rules to follow when it comes to choosing a white bottom:
1. Consider the fabric content: never purchase a white bottom without trying them on first. The most important thing to remember is to choose a fabric that is loose enough and thick enough to camouflage your skin and undergarments.
2. Choose the right undergarments: When you are choosing a white bottom the old school rule was to wear white undergarments, but in actuality, the white on white combination draws attention to your undergarments by creating a bright spot. Choose your undergarments based on your skin tone because they will blend the best and avoid lines.
3. Go bold with tops and accessories: This is the time to let your wildest, brightest accessories and patterns shine. Allow the neutral palette to bring their intensity to a new level.
4. Wear Like You Own It: the number one fashion rule is that if you are confident then you can do no wrong.
5. Care for your whites properly: The biggest issue with wearing white is the care and upkeep. First, pre-treat your whites with a scotch guard that will protect them from those annoying spills during the day. Then, treat all stains and issues immediately in order to avoid the issue of the stain setting. Avoid over bleaching as bleach will break down the fabric content of the garment if it is used repeatedly. Finally, treat your whites with a bit of lemon juice or white vinegar prior to washing to avoid yellowing around the collar and underarms.
Posted on February 6, 2013, in Affordable, Bargain Shopping, Beauty, Fashion, Fashion Trends, Shopping, Style, Stylist, What I Wore Wednesday, Wordless Wednesday and tagged bargain hunting, fashion, fashion forward, fashion tips, fashion trends, how to style white, latest fashion trends, shopping, signature style, spring fashion trends, spring style, style, style on a budget, Thrifty Thursday, what I wore Wednesday, wordless wednesday. Bookmark the permalink. 13 Comments.